A New Tune
LHB was selected by Carleton College to convert Old Music Hall into collaborative, teaching, and office spaces for the Political Science Department. The building, constructed in 1915 for practice and rehearsal rooms, has been used as flex space for various departments since 2017. The College’s professors, administrators, and technology staff all contributed to the effort to develop interactive, and technology-rich spaces while respecting the original architecture. A key project goal was to create an academic environment to foster collaboration and open dialogue.
The original building had double-loaded corridors with massive masonry walls. A skylight provided borrowed light from the attic above. The new design features collaboration space to foster conversation and knowledge sharing, while maintaining the original skylight.